My work has largely focused on understanding how information is updated in memory. This has included examining how previous experience influences more recent, novel associations, as well as how encoding during testing both helps and harms memory performance. I address the question using a combination of experimental, statistical, and computational techniques.
- Criss, A. H., Salomao, C., Malmberg, K. J., Aue, W. R., Kılıç, A., and Claridge, M. (in revision). Release from output interference in recognition memory.
- Aue, W. R., Fontaine, J., and Criss, A. H. (under review). Word frequency, but not context variability, dissociates across items and associations.
- Aue, W. R., Criss, A. H., & Prince, M. A. (2015). Dynamic memory searches: Selective output interference for the memory of facts. Psychonomic Bulletin & Review, 22(6), 1798-1806. [PDF] [DATA]
- Karpicke, J. D. & and Aue, W. R. (2015). The testing effect is alive and well with complex materials. Educational Psychology Review, 27(2), 317-326. [PDF]
- Howard, M. H., Shankar, K. H., Aue, W. R., and Criss, A. H. (2015). A distributed representation of internal time. Psychological Review, 122(1), 24-53. [PDF]
- Criss, A. H., Aue, W. R., and Kılıç, A. (2014). Age and response bias: Evidence from the strength based mirror effect. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology, 67(10), 1910-1924. [PDF]
- Karpicke, J. D., Lehman, M., and Aue, W. R. (2014). Retrieval-based learning: An episodic context account. Psychology of Learning and Motivation, 61, 237-284. [PDF]
- Aue, W. R., Criss, A. H., and Fischetti, N. W. (2012). Associative information in memory: Evidence from cued recall. Journal of Memory and Language, 66, 109-122. [PDF] [DATA]
- Criss, A. H., Aue, W. R., and Smith, L. (2011). The effects of word frequency and context variability in cued recall. Journal of Memory and Language, 64, 119-132. [PDF]
- Julian, M., Bohannon, J. N., and Aue, W. R. (2009). Measures of flashbulb memories: Are elaborate memories consistently accurate? In O. Luminet and A. Curci (Eds). Flashbulb Memories: New issues and new perspectives. New York: Psychology Press. [PDF]
- Arruda, J. E., Zhang, H., Amoss, R. T., Coburn, K. L., and Aue, W. R. (2009) Rhythmic oscillations in quantitative EEG measured during a continuous performance task. Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback, 34, 7-16. [PDF]
- Aue, W. R., Arruda, J. E., Kass, S. J., and Stanny, C. J. (2009). Periodicities in sustained human performance. Brain and Cognition, 71, 336-344. [PDF]