I am interested in studying human learning and identifying successful learning strategies and the processes implied. I find particularly interesting the way these processes can be studied in educational settings with relevant educational materials. I am also interested in studying social cognitive processes and how they are connected to memory and learning.
- Weinstein, Y., Nunes, L. D., & Karpicke, J. D. (2016). On the placement of practice questions during study. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied, 22, 72-84. [PDF]
- Nunes, L. D., & Karpicke, J. D. (2015). Retrieval-based learning: Research at the interface between cognitive science and education. In R. A. Scott & S. M. Kosslyn (Eds.), Emerging Trends in the Social and Behavioral Sciences (pp. 1-16). John Wiley & Sons, Inc. [PDF]
- Garcia-Marques, L., Nunes, L. D., Marques, P., Carneiro, P., & Weinstein, Y. (2015). Adapting to test structure: Letting testing teach what to learn. Memory, 23, 365-380.
- Nunes, L. D., & Weinstein, Y. (2012). Testing improves true recall and protects against the buildup of proactive interference without increasing false recall. Memory, 20, 138-154. [PDF]
- Marques, J. F., & Nunes L. D. (2012). The contribution of language and experience to the representation of abstract and concrete words: Different weights but similar organization. Memory & Cognition, 40, 1266-1275.
- Garcia-Marques, L., Ferreira, M. B., Nunes L. D., Garrido, M., & Garcia-Marques, T. (2010). False memories and impressions of personality. Social Cognition, 28, 556-568. [PDF]
- Mata, R., & Nunes, L. D. (2010). When less is enough: Cognitive aging, information search, and decision quality in consumer choice. Psychology and Aging, 425, 289-298. [PDF]
Selected Conference Presentations
- Nunes, L. D., (2017, May). From the lab to the classroom: Research at the interface between cognitive science and education. Talk at the 29th Annual Meeting of the Association for Psychological Science, Boston, MA, USA.
- Nunes, L. D., Whiffen, J., Blunt, J., & Karpicke, J. D. (2015, November). Negative effects of self-explanation on learning from expository texts. Poster presented at the 56th Meeting of the Psychonomic Society, Chicago, IL, USA.
- Nunes, L.D., Smith, M. A., & Karpicke, J. D. (2014, November). Matching Learning Styles and Retrieval Activities. Poster presentation at the 55th Meeting of the Psychonomic Society, Long Beach, CA, USA.
- Nunes, L. D., & Karpicke, J. D. (2014, May). Watching educational videos: Illusions of learning and actual learning. 2014 Annual Meeting of the Midwestern Psychological Association, Chicago, IL, USA.